Governor Holcomb to receive Trailblazer Award at 20th annual TechPoint Mira Awards galaMarch 28, 2019
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (March 28, 2019) — TechPoint, the nonprofit, industry-led growth initiative for Indiana’s technology ecosystem, will recognize Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb with the Trailblazer Award during TechPoint’s 20th annual Mira Award gala on April 13, at the JW Marriott Indianapolis.
The Mira Awards celebrate the best of tech in Indiana each year, including people, products, companies and places. The Trailblazer Award recognizes visionaries whose contributions have had lasting and significant impact on the state and its technology ecosystem. Trailblazers are among the state’s most inspiring and influential players. They are innovative risk-takers whose achievements and bold leadership are catalysts for our tech ecosystem’s growth and success
“Indiana is fortunate to have a great stable of leaders in the tech space and even more fortunate that one of them is the sitting governor of our state,” said Sherry Aaholm, Chair of the TechPoint Board of Directors and Chief Information Officer at Cummins. “He understands the critical role the tech sector plays in the state’s economy and has worked to help it thrive today and well into the future.”
“Several of the major wins Indiana’s tech community experienced over the past several years wouldn’t have happened without Governor Holcomb’s championing,” Langellier said. “Infosys, Next Level Fund, computer science in K-12, exempting sales tax on SaaS — none would have happened without him and his prioritizing these issues. We are lucky to have a governor who sees the criticality of tech sector strength and talent development for our state’s future prosperity and is willing to take bold actions.”
Governor Holcomb has championed the following laws and initiatives that are important to the tech industry:
- $250 Million Next Level Indiana Fund – establishing the “fund of funds” that catalyzes venture capital activity in the state, which will yield more growth for start-up and scale-up stage companies
- Open Data Bill – allowing public, private, and government agencies to share data and work toward innovative solutions
- SaaS Sales Tax – clarifying that tax law DOES NOT require software-as-a-service providers to collect sales tax
- Computer science education in K-12 – requiring public schools to include computer science in each school’s curriculum beginning in 2021, establishing a grant program to fund computer science teacher training, and supporting K-12 STEM and coding programs
- The Last Mile – bringing the technology and business skills-training program to inmates at the Indiana Women’s Prison and the Pendleton Juvenile Correctional Facility
- Bias Crimes Law – pushing towards a clear and comprehensive bias crimes law that reflects the inclusive and welcoming nature of the tech industry that must attract talent from all over the United States.
Previous winners of the Trailblazer Award include John Wechsler, Angie Hicks, Scott McCorkle, Chris Baggott, Bobby Schnabel, Don Brown, Scott Dorsey, Bill Godfrey, Robert Compton, Jo Ann Gora, Scott Webber, Wil Davis, Michael McRobbie, Mark Hill, Scott Jones, David Becker, The Lilly Endowment, and Martin Jischke.
In addition to the Trailblazer Award, TechPoint will present awards for cities, companies and individuals including Scale-up of the Year, New Tech Startup of the Year, Large Enterprise of the Year, Investor of the Year, Tech Educator of the Year, Community Champion of the Year, Innovation of the Year, Tech Service of the Year, New Tech Product of the Year, Rising Entrepreneur, Rising Tech City, and Exceptional Employer.
Visit https://techpoint.org/mira for more information about the Mira Awards.
TechPoint is the nonprofit, industry-led growth initiative for Indiana’s technology companies and overall tech ecosystem. The team is focused on assuring the Indianapolis region and the state as a major tech hub by attracting talent, accelerating scale-up companies, activating the community, and amplifying stories of success. For more information, please visit www.techpoint.org.