Ting Gootee is a seasoned venture development and community builder with in-depth experience leading and managing impact-driven programs across public, private and academic sectors. She joined TechPoint, as president and CEO in May 2022.
Gootee co-developed the original vision and strategy for Elevate Ventures in 2011 and served as the organization’s vice president of investment until 2014, when she was named chief investment officer.
In addition to focusing on investment funds formation and evaluating and supporting pre-seed to later-stage investment opportunities at Elevate Ventures, Gootee played an instrumental role in standing up all aspects of its operations from day one. She managed and conducted due diligence research on hundreds of investment opportunities across multiple sectors, ranging from IT to life sciences to advanced manufacturing. Her portfolio oversight reaches more than a dozen Elevate funds and more than 400 Indiana startups and scale-ups and active syndication relationships with individual investors and professional VCs around the country, resulting in $1.7 billion in co-invested capital and positive returns over the life of the funds. Elevate Ventures has been the most active investor in the Great Lakes regions since 2017.
Prior to Elevate Ventures, Gootee was the deputy director of the Indiana 21st Century Research & Technology Fund. She came to that position from Lionhart Investments Limited, Office of Global Counsel, where she served as a business and legal analyst from 2003 to 2006.
A native of China, Ting earned her Master of Business Administration from the Indiana University Kelley School of Business in Bloomington, Ind. after earning a Master of Arts degree from Purdue University in West Lafayette, Ind. She earned her undergraduate degree from Peking University in Beijing.
She has earned numerous awards, accolades and opportunities, including:
- Indianapolis Business Journal inaugural Indiana 250 Most Influential Business Leaders in 2022
- IU Ventures Inaugural Spirit of Venture Award in 2021
- Indianapolis Business Journal Women of Influence Award in 2021
- Purdue University CLA Emerging Voice Award in 2014
- SSBCI Working Group, National Venture Capital Association since 2021
- Advisory Board Member, AgriNovus Indiana since 2020
- Member, the Innovation Showcase Planning Committee since 2014
- Board Member, the America China Society of Indiana since 2012
- 2017 President and Board Member, the Venture Club of Indiana, 2013-present
- Women & Hi Tech Leading Light Awards Scholarship Committee Member, 2019-present
- TechPoint Mira Awards Judge since 2013
- Innovate WithIN judge in 2021
- Purdue University Trask Innovation Fund Advisory Council since 2015
- Holder of Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Designation since 2011
- Holder of Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) Designation since 2014
- Holder of Certificate in Investment Performance Measurement (CIPM) since 2017
- Bilingual, with excellent communication skills in Mandarin Chinese and English
- Participation in Indiana mission trips to China led by former Governor Mitch Daniels and former Governor and Vice President Mike Pence
- Speaker at Forbes Reinventing America Innovation Summit, SXSW, CIO Summit